From time to time I have to hire someone because a staff member moves away... decide they want to go to college.. life happens and things change for them. So I go on the hunt to find someone to fit the position that is vacant. It's always a stress for me as finding the perfect fit takes time, and energy and discernment to 'see' if the applicant would fit the position. Funny things happen... and I don't always hit it right. But here is what I DO KNOW if I am going to hire someone.
1.Don't be late to the interview.
2.While waiting for the interview don't be smartie to other employees by making remarks about this must be a 'easy' place and tell them when you will work and when you won't. And who comes first in your life and how a 'charity' must be a piece of cake to get to do what you want. And DON'T OFFER DRUGS TO THEM. (I'm tight with my staff and they are 'pre-interviewing' many times to save my time)
3A Don't come dressed like a street walker smacking gum - low cut clothing and short shorts - out the door please.
3B Don't come dressed as a homeless person with wrinkled torn clothing, flip flops and dirty hands and feet. I don't hire these - I offer help to them.
4. Please brush your hair, teeth and put on some make -up. I want to see your best look - not your worst.
5. If you reek of cigarettes - forget it.
6. If you smell of alcohol - nevermind.
7. If you demand a certain work schedule to fit your own interests... NEXT.
8. Tell the truth about being in trouble with the Law - I do check.
9. Taking over the conversation to control my questions will not get you a position.
10. If your eyes are very dilated and you are sporting a black eye and slurring your words..... mmmm not so good and the job's not coming your way.
11. Be willing to start with lower pay instead of the top.... I don't know you or your work ethic so I'm not going to offer the highest pay till you prove yourself. Arguing to try to get me to give you top wages will not land a job.
12. And twelve .... the top reason someone will not get a job working here with me? The conversation about how they WOULD BE BETTER AT MY JOB than I am. Unbelievable.
13. Oh I forgot this one.... don't start crying in the interview about personal issues - addictions - lost relationships - moving - car issues - child issues - husband issues. If I have to start counseling in the midst of a interview... Sorry the job won't be happening.... but prayer, love and support will!
14. I keep remembering..... here's another one. If you are not well physically - just be honest that you might not be able to do the work. Don't push to get a job that you can't really do. It won't work out long once you get on the job site.
15. Oops! another one. Decide if you really DO want to really WORK. I hire people who like to work.